1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hard cooked eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ChrisnTiff, Jan 19, 2007.

1. ChrisnTiff

ChrisnTiff Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Crane, Missouri
    We find the best way to cook eggs in the shell is to steam. It seems like we can get good peelers even if they are only a day or two old. We load about 12 or eighteen in our steamer pan and cook for 15 minutes. Then submerge them in ice cold water until they are cool enough to peel and voila they usually peel no problem. Talk about the best egg salad, how about your favorite recipe?

Chris

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Dec 26, 2006
    California - SF East Bay
    Hey.... a steamer??? You have pictures / instructions on the best way to steam them? We usually boil, but if steaming lets the shell peel better, then I want to try it!

3. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I steam them too. I just pop them in my Black and Decker veggie steamer and set the auto timer for 20 minutes. The shells dont crack in the steamer either. Even works fine for the duck eggs.

chellie

4. I don't have a 'steamer', just use a colander and a pot --- but steaming makes for peelable eggs right out of the hen.
    No other technique has worked for me for fresh eggs except steaming.

Does anyone know the science behind why a steamed fresh egg will peel well and a boiled fresh egg won't?

A glug of vinegar in the water works sometimes but not always, lol, the vinegar changes the texture of the shell and membrane. I use that for Button eggs I'm planning to pickle anyway.

Lisa

5. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:We'll cook some noodles in the morning while cooking we crack and drop the eggs in while the noodles are cooking, on a cold morning this work great.

6. aimee

aimee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Lake WaConDa, NE
    We love to smoke eggs. They are really hard to peel but they taste wonderful! We just put them on the top shelf of the smoker when we put the meat in and leave them until the meat is done. The whites of the egg will have a little bit of a brown tint. The flavor is mild but awesome. Makes great deviled eggs too.

7. rudysmom

rudysmom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2007
    Dexter, MN
    We bought one of those egg cookers that steam the egg......I think it is called Henrietta Hen and it's on QVC.com. The fresh eggs are much easier to peel than boiling them the regular way.

8. ChickenGeorge

ChickenGeorge Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2007
    So there is no way to get good smooth "boiled" eggs?

9. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Yes, let the eggs age... if they are 3 - 4 weeks old, they'll be just like those gross old eggs at the grocery and will peel like a charm

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by