Hard decisions in chicken keeping

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SIMZ, Dec 7, 2011.

1. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    One of my daughter's original "pullets" wasn't, and so we've had "Tracy" the rooster running around. It hasn't been a problem, but now I'm thinking of hatching eggs from my purchased rooster. It would be so much easier without "Tracy" in the mix because he's the only SLW we have. He has shown aggression to my two girls in the past, but he's so much better (and usually in the run anyway). Therefore, it's hard to justify this only on the fact he's mean, which would be a no-brainer.

This is really just poor me moment, and I need to toughen up unless I want my home overtaken by pet chickens. [​IMG] Keeping a flock to fulfill an actual purpose is made of tough choices like this, right? What on earth am I going to do when it's time to cull my layers?

Ugh!

2. try putting him on craigs list for free. He has a chance of finding a new home as a rooster for a flock or at the very worst someone will take him to freezer camp. But if the worse happens, at least you dont have to be the one to do it.

3. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    Quote:X's 2

I am in the same boat. I have a silkie Roo with emotional value, but no practical value. He won't make a good breeder, so I have to let him go. You can also list him here as well as CL. Good luck!

4. I have no problem processing...but I understand people that do. It's funny even when I do it (and ive done a great many) my wife still points out how quiet and reserved I am after the process. t's not a bad thing to have respect for an animals life. I always thank God and the bird for giving me a good meal...makes me feel better.

5. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I'll consider that!

I've given two other roosters away in the past and it didn't go so well. By the way, there was no emotional attachment to those guys and I still felt bad about things went for them. I guess that's why I was thinking it might be better for him to be sent to freezer BY MY HUSBAND (it would never get done if it was up to me [​IMG]) without all that stress and suffering.

It's another lesson about why you shouldn't name these things or have one chicken that stands out. This is not a problem for me with the meat chickens.

6. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I couldn't agree more Bairo! I have learned and grown up so much by having chickens and helping process them. This is really just another learning experience in taking responsibility for my flock.

7. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Quote:Much respect to you.

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sometimes you just have to work through these feelings, until you can decide how to handle things. Since you're thinking about hatching chicks, you'll be facing the problem again. There's a limit to how many cockerels or roosters you can place in pet or breeding homes, even if they're purebred.

Everybody dies. Every chicken dies. It's just a matter of when and how. Young, pretty and quick? Old, suffering and sick? In the jaws of a predator? Not everyone can die suddenly and peacefully in their sleep. It always helps me to keep these things in mind, when I'm mulling these type of decisions over.

9. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Very wise words. Thank you.

10. partsRheavy

partsRheavy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    If it's just one Roo that's good-looking and friendly. the auctions or Craigslist are possibilities. It helps if he's an unusual breed and is attractive.

If it's more than one cockerel of a fairly common breed this can be rough when you first learn it and has a steep learning curve, but caponizing is a way to keep Roo's around for longer.

These guys are staying in the apartment next door to a mom and some winter-babies!!! They are very quiet and polite but they posted notices in the Lost and Found section of Craigslist...[​IMG] We'll just say they lost their car keys, cellphones, iPods etc....

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by