We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

hard eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AceOfSpadesJJ, Jun 15, 2013.

1. AceOfSpadesJJ

AceOfSpadesJJ In the Brooder

May 14, 2012
    UK Colchester
    any one know why my eggs shells are so hard i rlly have trouble when cracking into my frying pan!!! i dont know if its the shell or something else to do with the egg dos anyone know

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Crowing

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Most of my chicken's egg shells are harder the the ones of store bought eggs. I'm not sure if it is the breed or that the get plenty of calcium from their feed. I would rather have shells on the hard side instead of weak shells though. I recently heard that knocking the egg on a flat surface helps them crack better.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Crowing

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Mine are quite a bit harder than store bought eggs too. In fact, the last time I had to buy eggs from the grocery store (it had been a while) I whacked the first few off the counter like I would my own and made a huge mess :oops:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  4. Scrambled8

Scrambled8 Chirping

Jun 7, 2013
    Too much calcium?

5. AceOfSpadesJJ

AceOfSpadesJJ In the Brooder

May 14, 2012
    UK Colchester
    well they are all different breeds 2 leghorns, 1 barred rock, 1 pied sussex, 1 freach grey, and all the way down to pekins and wyandotte bantams!!!!

6. Weasleymum

Weasleymum Songster

Aug 1, 2008
    Virginia
    It's probably just because you're feeding your birds a more nutritious diet. I've started cracking eggs into a bowl or measuring cup, then pouring them into the pan...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: