Hard Feathered Silkie?

happyheart

Songster
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Thornville, Oh
Sorry i saw this on another post as i try to read past posts before reposting questions.
What exactly is a hard feathered Silkie?
caf.gif

Then if they are hard feathered are they still showable?
idunno.gif

A hard feathered silkie would not be showable, I dont think. It just means it has regular feathers rather than feather duster fluff feathers. In fact, would it even be a Silkie? Hmm I'm sure someone will pop in with the answer. I dont have Silkies.

Well i saw where someone was taking a hard feathered bird to a show?
Would it just be random feathers or all the feathering?
Sorry this one really has me baffled.

Oh Maybe they were referring to a few hard feathers in the wings and the tail. That does happen. I thiink it is desirable to have as few hard feathers as possible in a silkie.People do comb the hard feathers in the wings and tail to 'split' the barbs up. I am really new to silkies though so that is what I think.

Hard feathered means the feathers are close to the body, not fluffy. Game breeds are hard feathered, cochins and orpingtons are soft feathered, so a Silkie with hard feathers would still have silkie feathers, but they wouldn't be fluffy, they would be slender.

Here are pics of hard feathered silkies

9be38ed3-1.jpg

ec943ba6.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

Compared with soft feathered birds

IMG_316311.jpg

IMG_3941.jpg

IMG_2960.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

ETA: Yes, they are showable.

Last edited:
I think it's quite an interesting variation and I've only seen a few. I really like them, although they are not ideal.

Thanks for the photos! They really explains what you mean. As to whether you can breed and show, yes, but the softer feathers are more desired.

So, what genes make the difference between hard & soft feathering?

Back
Top Bottom