hard hatch, eyes closed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by firedove, May 9, 2009.

1. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Hi everyone, I'm about finished with my first hatch and I had one that needed help out of the shell after 36 hours since her pip. She had become stuck to the membrane in one spot and was unable to turn in the shell. My question about her is does anyone have any idea why she nearly always keeps her eyes closed? She can open them and she can see but whenever I check on her she primarily has her eyes closed. Here is a pic of her (eyes closed as usual)

[​IMG]

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    She may need a pick-me-up like electrolytes or sugar in the water.

3. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    she isn't drinking yet, should she be? I know she pipped 48 hours ago now but she has only been out of the shell for the last 7.

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    She is probably exhausted from the hatch, I make sure to at least dip their beaks as soon as they go into the brooder. They can go a couple of days without food or water but it sounds like she has a special case. So, yes, I would make sure she gets some fluids in her!

5. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    They have been dipped a couple of times. I will go see if I can get her to drink.

6. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    ok, I have also had to take one of my fingernails with a bit of water in it to coax mine to drink. It had to be helped out of the shell after 2 days. I gave it pedialite and now I don't even know which one it is [​IMG]

7. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I got her to take two sips of water and I gave her two drips of honey from the tip of my finger. Honey is usually what I use to help pick up weak chicks.

One thing I noticed though it that it seemed to be difficult for her to swallow the water. She kept her head up for a long time working her little beak.

8. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hopefully she is just parched. Keep an eye on her and make sure she is fluids. Honey has a lot of benefits, good chioce. I hope all goes well, I know how much trouble you have had [​IMG]

9. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    not sounding good . . . good luck, sending good vibes your way.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd be dipping that beak into water every two hours... even through the night.. Call me paranoid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by