Hard, hot swollen pekin neck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by brennalees, Apr 22, 2019.

1. brennalees

brennalees In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2019
    I have a 2 1/2 month old Pekin duck. When I came home today I noticed her neck was very swollen when I went to feel her neck it was hot to the touch. The neck has a hard large knot in it. It does not feel gritty, or squishy. very solid and hard. She has little interest in eating and drinking and I have not see her poop since I've been home. Prior to this neck problem my pekin is currently being treated by what the vet thinks is a genetic bone problem that has caused her joints to become hot and infected (the other pekin I purchased with her is being treated for the same issue). She is responded well to medicine (meloxicam and amoxi-clav) and is starting to walk again. I have been to the vet 3 times in the last 3 weeks and am not suppose to go back for another 2 weeks for check up. I am desperate for help pertaining to her neck. I cannot afford to go the vet again tomorrow. image1.jpeg

casportpony likes this.
  2. Texag87

Texag87 Crowing

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    casportpony likes this.
  3. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Welcome to BYC!
    May I suggest that you email the picture to your vet?

DuckyDonna likes this.
  5. brennalees

Apr 22, 2019
    Thank you! I will definitely do that. I plan to call in the morning as well. I know they will want me to come in and if things get worse I will. I’m just really trying to avoid another vet bill if possible. Thank you again.

Texas Kiki and casportpony like this.
  6. Texag87

Texag87 Crowing

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    I called for Miss Lydia first because I always mis spell your name

casportpony and onaharley like this.
  7. I'm sorry you going through this, but a vet would be your best option. I know the price thing very well, as I often go to the vet for mine.
    By chance could she have ate something that is not allowing her to process through her system, like metal or glass?

casportpony and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. brennalees

Apr 22, 2019
    I don’t think she got a hold of anything because she’s currently a inside duck on towels because of her legs and the only food she had access too was the food I gave her. But I assume anything is possible. I’m calling vet this morning, will keep everyone posted. Thank you

9. quackiemama

quackiemama Crowing

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    I hope your pretty girl will be ok

10. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Do you provide Grit?

onaharley and 123RedBeard like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: