Hard leathery reddish-orange mass found on poo pile

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wordup, Mar 20, 2013.

1. wordup

wordup New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    San Francisco Bay Area
    This afternoon I was cleaning out the poop from the droppings board and I found this (egg shown for size comparison):

[​IMG]

It resembles a date, but is much harder. While I was pretty certain it was not a date (I don't know how one would have ended up in the coop), I cut it open to be sure:

[​IMG]

Definitely not a date. My googling has turned up no information as to what this may be so far. Has anyone here ever seen anything like this before? I have four hens that are about three years old. They have all been molting, but look to be about done, and one of them has a slightly pale comb. Their egg production has been way down, because of the molting and winter, I assume. I've also been getting a lot of broken eggs with very weak shells for the last two months or so, even though I mix in oyster shells to the feed in the same ratio I always have. Outside of these symptoms, I haven't noticed anything else out of the ordinary.

Here is an album with a few more pictures.

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Haha. Put it up for a bid on Ebay. Someone will buy it. Seriously though, I've had difficulty finding scientific info on this lash I heard about some years ago. I only saw it once in a Golden Sex Link.

3. wordup

wordup New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Thanks for your replies... As an update, the hen who had been showing a pale comb for the last few weeks now is exhibiting a nice bright and rosy one. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I'm thinking that is was her who had this 'lash', and that she should be ok now. Hope I'm right.

4. LadyofChickRose

LadyofChickRose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    From the look of it I think it's probably some tissue from inside the hen that was pooped out and perhaps was encased in eggshell and probably is nothing to worry about, I say that because I did a year of reaserch before I got chickens and came across a description of a similar case and an answer in the poultry mag I'm subscribed to, so please just research a bit more before taking this to heart.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by