1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hard lump, sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mylied, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Mylied

Mylied Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    My one hen was a bit unbalanced today and poofy, so I checked on her. Under her vent in hard, feels like an egg shape. I brought her in and felt inside. All I felt was flesh. Any ideas?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    She's 3 years old. None have been laying lately, I assume because of the cold. It could be a tumor because I didn't feel an egg or shells in her vent. I have penacillin I can give her, if that might help.

4. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    She's eating, drinking, pooping, and acting pretty normal, so I put her back outside. We'll see how she is over the next few days.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The penicillin may help temporarily if it is EYP. I'm glad she is acting more normal now. This is a good time of year to worm the flock with a good dewormer such as Valbazen.

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    It may also be ascites,with ascites(water belly) the abdomen is not always squishy,but often hard. What color is her poop? Any discoloration to comb?

I am currently treating a hen for ascites,she has been drained using a 20 gauge needle,given antibiotics to prevent infection and milk thistle for liver support. My girl is doing very well.

7. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    Her poop and comb are normal. Everything seems normal except she can't keep her balance. She fell into the food bin and couldn't get out yesterday. :( I have no clue what is wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by