Hard Molt but still eggs. What should I do to help?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ambe0487, Sep 13, 2016.

1. ambe0487

ambe0487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    I have 4 girls that are molting really hard all will be a year in December.

1. Mhea just got done being broody (8 week old chicks) and is almost bald on her belly as well as very thinnly feathered now. She is the only one not laying yet during this molt.

2. Hakiki's molt has been going on for the last 2 months and in the beginning had me worried that we were dealing with mites/lice or feather picking. Her whole beard is gone and her feathers are coming in wonky. She lays an egg everyday.

3. Chestnut started her molt just after Hakiki did and is completely bald also under her chin. She also lays an egg daily.

4. Journey has just started her molt and first thing I noticed was her lack of beard. She also lays an egg daily.

I feed FlockRaiser with oyster shell available as well as a couple handfuls of sprouted BOSS a day. They also get fresh veggies and fruit daily depending on what I have available in the house.

My biggest question is if I should be adding additional protein since they are both molting and laying. I see people say that when thy molt and stop laying you don't need to up the protein but with them molting and laying I'm concerned it will be detrimental to their health if I don't make sure they are getting enough vits and min.

Thoughts?

Before:

1. Chestnut
    [​IMG]
    2. Hakiki
    [​IMG]

3. Journey
    [​IMG]

4. Meha
    [​IMG]

After
    5. Meha
    [​IMG]

6. Hakiki
    [​IMG]

7. Journey
    [​IMG]

8. Hakiki
    [​IMG]

10. Chestnut
    [​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    None of them look to be doing a hard molt. A hard molt is when they drop over half the feathers in just a few days.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Agreed, not a hard molt. I see no large patch of skin without feathers. The fact that they are laying is another indicator of a soft molt. Upping the protein would not be out of order with either a hard or soft molt. I don't see where lowering the protein, like you have heard, would be a good idea as they need protein to grow feathers during molting.

4. ambe0487

ambe0487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    My apologizes for not understanding the specifics of a hard molt. Thanks for educating me for the future.

Is there anything I can do besides upping the protein to speed up the molt? I'm hoping they will be fully re-feathered before our temps start to drop in the next month for winter.

Thanks again!

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    No, nothing more you can do really except sitting back and watching. It is going to take as long as it takes. As long as your coop is good and they can get out of the wind, they can stand some really cold weather while growing them back.

6. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Some people like to feed Feather Fixer (a Nutria product) during the molt. I looked at the lanbel the last time I was at Tractor Supply. Looks like real good stuff. I have also read (here) that some use it full time for their laying hens. I did not price it, but will the next time I go to TSC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by