1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hard molt? Dead hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by caribabcock, Oct 9, 2015.

1. caribabcock

caribabcock New Egg

Feb 23, 2015
    Last spring I bought some hens at the auction. Two I thought were pullets ended up being small chickens. Anyway, one of them has been losing feathers which looked like a typical molt and turned into a hard molt which turned into a dead hen this morning. I have a couple others molting but not as bad. But now I'm freaking out that maybe there's a disease going on? They haven't been out of their area in months (my garden is right there) is there any diseases I could or should be looking out for? We've had some drastic weather changes the last couple weeks so I'm wondering if a combination of molt and weather? I just don't want to lose my whole flock.

Pic when I got them [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    An occasional dead chicken happens a lot, there can be some diseases transmitted by wild birds, and stress from the molt and changing weather can bring on some illness, I wouldn't worry unless you see some identifiable symptoms or more die.

1 person likes this.
  3. PerfectPlumage

PerfectPlumage Chillin' With My Peeps

A pullet IS a chicken.. A female one.. Do you mean they ended up being small roosters?

4. caribabcock

caribabcock New Egg

Feb 23, 2015
    A
    A pullet is a young female chicken, I mean they ended up being full grown they were like Bantu Easter eggers. They both laid and then they stopped.

5. PerfectPlumage

PerfectPlumage Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, that's what you meant. Heh. My bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by