Hard molt, do I bring her in?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tracyree, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    I have a hen in a very hard molt. She's obviously cold, laying in sun trying to warm up. It's not crazy cold here, 50's during day and about 30 to 20 at night.

Do I need to bring her in?[​IMG]

2. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    Yes bring her in and give her a blanket and water and feed. How old is she?

3. Tracyree

May 6, 2011
    She's 3

4. chasiekitten12

Aug 19, 2014
    Bring her in and give her some crushed up egg shells (it gives them calcium). If you have any cooked chicken or turkey give them some(yes this is safe for them and good for them).

5. Tracyree

May 6, 2011
    How about with a fleece jacket. Ha!!![​IMG]

6. chasiekitten12

Aug 19, 2014
    Awwwwwwwwwwwww! Cute! Perfect too!

7. Tracyree

May 6, 2011
    Ha. Thanks. Poor girl. I don't have anywhere I can keep her inside where the dog won't stress her so I figured a jacket and snuggling up with her flock will have to do.

Jacket was easy and fun to make. Kind of surprised at how well it worked out.

8. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Handling birds in moult adds to the stress. The new follicles are sensitive, so putting a material over them isn't a good thing to do. Help the immune system by supplementing water 3 times a week with poultry vitamin-electrolytes. Make sure the birds don't have drafts on them while they roost at night. If they are going off feed ,as many chickens do during moult, you can use a 20% feed ration during the moult until feathers come in. Lay off the scratch since there is very little nutritional value to it compared for formulated feed. Mix 2-4 tsp of wheat germ oil per pound of feed in a clean steel bucket once a week. Mix it thoroughly to coat all feed, and mix with a steel spoon since much of the oil will end on your hands otherwise. They don't need all the additional calcium at this time since they are not producing eggs. Lysine and methionine are important amino acids during this time, in addition to A, D, E, B vitamins, choline/thioctic acid for liver support.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  9. Tracyree

May 6, 2011
    Thanks, but you didn't address the temperature. Do I bring her n or leave her with flock?

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If her coop shelter is draft free for the cold nights, I'd just let her roost with her flockmates. If she doesn't seem to mind the saddle/jacket, then leave it in until her new feathers start coming in. She's not as naked as some of my hard molters have been!

I've always wondered why more birds don't molt in the summer time...being naked then makes more sense than being naked over the cold fall nights...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by