Hard molt with below freezing temps

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brendave, Nov 14, 2019.

1. brendave

brendave Songster

Apr 21, 2018
    Freeland, MI
    My BO and my SLW are going through a hard molt right now. Temps have been in the lows 10s at night and below freezing during the day. Both lost the majority of their feathers today and are half their normal puffed up size. Neither can get up to the roost any more and are huddled on the floor of the coop, in a corner.

Should I bring them into the garage where the temps are in the mid 40s or maybe take the mama heating pad brooder out for them to sit on?

So far they don't have frostbite anywhere but I'm worried.

glassdragonfly and penny1960 like this.
  2. BullChick

BullChick Enslaved by a Duckling

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Frostbite is caused by a moist coop. Ventilation is key.
    Believe it or not, they are okay. Adding heat will make it hard to acclimate if there’s a power outage.

glassdragonfly and brendave like this.
  3. Sequel

Sequel Free Ranging

Do they have plenty of deep bedding on the floor? If they have a nice pile of straw to huddle in that would sure be more comfy for them.

4. penny1960

penny1960 Yippy Do Da, Yipptye Ay!

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Straw or shavings they will be fine birds are funny molting is very tough on them the least changes the better

glassdragonfly, brendave and Sequel like this.
  5. Skippersnh

Skippersnh Songster

Oct 14, 2019
    If your chickens can't get up to there roost then that's a sign there's a problem
    When chickens molt they can still roost so I would bring them in to warm up and watch them close to find out if there is something else going on
    My chickens are currently molting and I have same temps but mine are all on the roost

glassdragonfly and Sequel like this.
  6. brendave

brendave Songster

Apr 21, 2018
    Freeland, MI
    Yes, they have deep litter to huddle in. Pine shavings, dried leaves, and dried grass, all fresh from a few weeks ago when I did the fall cleaning.

penny1960 and glassdragonfly like this.
  7. penny1960

penny1960 Yippy Do Da, Yipptye Ay!

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    don't move them then let them get through it it can be really hard on some

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: