Hard place on belly of baby chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bigshoes213, Oct 25, 2010.

1. bigshoes213

bigshoes213 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Sardis, Ms
    On quite a few of baby chicks (5 to 6 days old) there are hard places where the feathers have gotten matted down and/or slightly bare skin. But the area around the belly button i guess is not really soft like the rest of the bird. Is this normal? It almost looks like a half healed incision.

The chicks all seem fine. they are constantly drinking, eating, running, or sleeping.

I did lose one two days ago due to pasty bottom. I think I worried with him to much and made the situation worse than it should of been.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i dont remember any of my chickens having this issue last spring that i raised.

What do I need to do differently if anything?

I have been trying my best to keep the straw clean and the straw has not been damp.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Christina

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:You're probably feeling the "belly button" area where the yolk sac attached to feed the chick for the 21 day trip out of the egg. Just leave it alone. It will heal just like a human infant's umbilical cord does.

3. bigshoes213

bigshoes213 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Sardis, Ms
    I have noticed the belly button on the others dried up but this is at least a 1 inch line with the belly button in the middle is the best that i can describe it. i am just nervous that they are all going to suddenly die on me. thanks for the post!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by