Hard shells now soft

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tenmore, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    My young ladies have just started to lay. Ive had 9 small to medium hard shelled eggs [​IMG] [​IMG] . Now today I got a small paper thin shelled very light brown egg. Do I need to add Oyster shells or just give it time to see if they harden up. I think it came from a Black Sexlink.... My GSL was sitting on an egg this morning. SO I do think it came from my BSLs or the other GSL 18 weeks old. Leghorns laying small but hard eggs and Ive had 4 mediium hard shellled brown eggs. [​IMG]

2. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    You've gotta give them oyster shells. I had very thick shelled nice eggs for months when my girls first started laying, but then they got very thin and it took weeks and weeks of eating a LOT of oyster shells to get them back to normal. Their bodies will pull calcium from their bones if they don't ingest enough, and that is not good for them. Put out a dish of oyster shells somewhere where it won't get wet for free feeding.

3. Tenmore

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    If it was a first timer can that be why?

4. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Possibly? I know that sometimes they lay soft shelled eggs early on, so why not thin shelled? Just a semi-educated guess. You will eventually want to supplement with calcium though.

5. Tenmore

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Ok thanks like I said all others have been very hard and actuall I would say xtra thick just this one has been thin and soft I give a while and see what happens Thanks again

6. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    what are you feeding them?

My girls existed on Purina Layena and layed perfect eggs for 6 months. Now they free range with no change in egg quality. (except they are happier eggs!)

7. Tenmore

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    They have been on layer pellits for several weeks now and scratch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by