1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hard shells oyster

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rottenrobe, Aug 23, 2013.

1. rottenrobe

rottenrobe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Quick question.... We've started getting eggs.. and its awesome. I've read and heard that we need to supplement with oyster shell so that the egg shell will be hard. our layers have been giving us eggs for almost a month now and we have not added oyster to their diet just the layer pellets mixed with layer mash. Our eggs are nice and hard (we haven't had a thin one yet) so do I need to start giving them oyster shell or not... Thanks

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    No. The layer has a higher Ca content that for the most part should take care of the additional Ca they need daily from the shell formation. Feed back your egg shells. They're free and they have the same composition of the oyster shells.

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Agree, if you are feeding a layer feed then it already has the extra calcium in it so you really don't need any further supplement unless you are seeing issues. Some people do not feed layer to their flock. If you are going to feed laying hens a grower or a flock raiser then you need to make sure to add the oyster on the side as these feeds to not have extra calcium.

4. rottenrobe

rottenrobe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Thank you for the great advice... I switched to Layer pellets (mixed with layer mash) once they started laying and it's seemed to go really well. I've just read about the oyster to toughen up the shells but since I wasn't getting thin shells thought I would ask... My 1 1/2 year old daughter and I love going out to get fresh eggs every day.. Love this site too thanks for all the great help!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by