Hard split peas for chickens?

Lillyk24

Chirping
Mar 2, 2016
I bought split peas for my chickens, but now I am wondering if I have to cook them or not. I had sprouts that I put in water for a few days and they sprouted, but do I have to do this for the peas as well? I heard a few different things, some said no it will blow up their stomachs and some said yes its good protein. I dont want to hurt my girls, please advise.

Thanks

Chickens can eat these dry. They seem to like split peas better than whole dried peas, but they may not be too excited. You can soak them, but of course split peas will not sprout.

Im not quite sure what a split pea is ( i will google it now) but i have been feeding my 4 week old chicks frozen petite peas and they love them!

OH...they are the dried peas?
Im not sure but I would soak them before feeding them to my chicks.
I do sprout lentils (that look similar the the split peas i just googled) and my chicks love them too....all with a side of grit.

Thank you everyone for the tips and reply's I was unsure if I could give them to them or not, so I will soak a few today and see if they like them :)

Thank you!

Jen

I have fed for many years, dried and split green and yellow peas, and barley , (sparingly ,and when i have them) mixed in with a 40lbs. Bag of layer feed. No problems with peas and certain grains in mine.
- The peas seem a great supplement. Just no beans/blackeyes raw as those do have to be cooked to neutralize toxins.
Cooked though... the gals looove beans once cooked. Dried peas seem kinda meh to them, but very easy. Cooked stuff here is a treat :)

Back
Top Bottom