Hard to Peel Eggs

BubbaLikesIt

Songster
Feb 9, 2013
On every level but one, the eggs we get from our chickens are fantastic. Their diet is laying feed (3 types we have used so far), fresh greens (Kale, Collard, Mustard), every vegetable under the sun (they love cilantro but wont' touch parsley), melons in the summer and their scratch is whole kernel corn and milo and they won't eat oats. They have a steady supply of oyster shell and crushed granite.

Now, why are the eggs so hard to peel? Is a fresh egg hard to peel? We have tried everything in the written book about peeling eggs and believe me when I tell you, there is a lot of egg peeling lore out there. My wife bought a dozen eggs from the store to make potato salad because they peel like a banana. Whats up with that?

That's because your eggs are fresh and the store eggs are not. Here's what I do.

I bring the water to boil first and add salt to it.
Next, I add the eggs and I boil them for 16 minutes.
Then I remove the eggs and put them directly into a ice and water bath to cool.
If you do that, they will peel just like the store bought eggs.

My hubby said not to let them get cold. Like don't boil them then put them in the fridge (when I can't or don't feel like peeling them right away. But I found some peel better than others. The way I boil them is: I put hot water in the pot, add the eggs. Bring to rapid boil. Turn off and cover for about 20 minutes. Drain and put in ice cold water. But I will try you idea. :)

Allow some of the eggs to stay in the refrigerator for at least 3 to 4 weeks before hard-boiling them. This allows gradual moisture loss from the egg, which causes the membrane next to the shell to pull away from the shell. So, when the egg is boiled, the shell pulls away from the membrane much easier.

Not long ago I decided to read up on the best way to hard boil super fresh eggs and have them easy to peel. I came across an article that said to steam them, not boil them. The egg must remain above the boiling water and let the steam cook the egg. I think it was for ten minutes.

And by golly, it worked! The day old eggs were easy to peel!

The following method I got off this website but can't seem to find the thread.
Bring pot of water to full boil

Place cold refridgerated eggs into pot (gently with big spoon or ladle)

Boil on high for 14 minutes

Remove pot and run under cold sink water

The shells will almost slide off. Fresh eggs or old doesn't matter. The key is using refrigerated eggs. The eggs will also be perfectly cooked,no green sulphur ring. I have been sharing this method with friends and family and all rave about it.

Credit goes to whoever on this site originally posted it a couple years ago?

Try this:

Put a very small hole (use a needle or something) into the bottom of the big end.
Place all the eggs into a pot so that they are all in only one layer.
Add water, until there is about 1/4 inch of water above the eggs.

Place the pot on the fire and bring to a boil. (You need to watch it !)
When the water boils, remove the pot from the fire, cover the pot with a lid and let sit for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes, remove the warm water and put a lot of ice cubes in the pot and then add cold water.
The water must cover ALL the eggs.
Let sit for 10 minutes.
To save for later, mark then somehow, and put in the fridge, but not longer than about a week !!!

Drain all the water and then peel, whichever way you are used to.

I use this method on all our eggs (all from our own hens!)
Never any problems !

This is how we sometimes peel the eggs.
We make a small opening on the small end of the eggs.
(peel it off)
On the big end, peel a hole *almost* the size of the egg.
Now blow really hard thru the small hole.
The egg will pop out of the shell ...
Our grand kids have a lot of fun doing this with their individual eggs !

Somebody, a long time ago, explained to me why you need ice cold water after you boil them.
Apparently there is something between the shell and the egg.
If you do not quickly cool off the boiled egg, that skin on the egg will glue the shell to the egg.

Last edited:
Try the method I posted above. No need for ice,pinholes ,salt,etc. I was skeptical and used to do these other methods.

Back
Top Bottom