Hard to peel hard boiled eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by deidreschultz, Nov 10, 2009.

1. deidreschultz

deidreschultz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Melbourne, FL
    I boiled some of the girls eggs the other day. 1/2 the white came off with the shell. Never had this much problem with store bought. Do u think it's because they are so fresh. Any thoughts or am I going to have to get store eggs for thanksgiving?
    thanks

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  3. deidreschultz

deidreschultz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Melbourne, FL
    Thanks will try. Seems easy enough.

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I have always boiled my eggs just like the post said. And I STILL have trouble with really fresh eggs. I didn't use ice water though. Just cold water from the tap.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I do this as well. Works perfectly, even on eggs laid that day.

6. AmyRey

AmyRey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    I'm totally sold on the directions you were linked to.

I boil a dozen now every week or so and they don't crack, don't discolor and peel like a DREAM.

I use a pasta cooker (the strainer that fits in the pot) so I don't have to ladle eggs in one by one. I bring the eggs to room temp while I wait for my water to boil. Cook for 14 minutes, then dunk immediately in a sinkful of ice water.

These crazy folks had me boiling eggs at 10:00pm when I read that thread. Just to see. And darn if it don't work.

The ice water seems to be the trick.

7. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Quote:That worked perfectly for me too the other day when I went to make deviled eggs.

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I just take a large pin and poke a little hole in the shell into the air sac. Then they peel just as nicely as those rotton old store bought eggs.

9. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    Martha Stewart says that eggs need to be 8 days old to peel easily when hard-boiled. [​IMG]

I know I'm going to catch grief from you gals about quoting Martha Stewart... so go ahead and bring it on, I'm ready! [​IMG]

10. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    woohoo I'll try that, I knew there had to be an answer and you guys would know it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by