Hard to watch video, please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by augiedranch, Sep 20, 2015.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG]I need advice as to why on earth my chicks are fighting. They are almost 6 weeks old, and are very sweet and affectionate to people. The hatch includes 8 cochin bantams and 6 production reds. The mom is not their mom but was broody and I put eggs under her. She is a cochin bantam naked neck frizzle mix. A few days ago she started attacking all of her standard size chicks. I had to separate them from her. I put everyone out in the sunshine today, but when I went outside to check on them, I noticed that the little frizzles were fighting horribly! It was just horrible. I included a video because I want to show y'all exactly what was going on. Please don't say mean things to me about filming them fighting. It was just a second, and I was able to figure out the two that were causing the fights. The two fighters are by themselves. And the two with injuries are inside the house. I just have never seen fighting like this in chicks. It is scary and I don't know why they are doing it. Is this something that can be fixed? Why are they doing this! ?[​IMG]

2. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas

3. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    I think I was able to post the video in previous post.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

It's a pretty short video, but, it looks like one is the aggressive one. The other one is trying to get away. Can you tell which one is starting the fight?

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

How many chicks got injured during the fighting?

6. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    Two chicks got injured, and are inside the house now. I narrowed the instigators down to two. They are now by themselves (alone, not together ). But I don't know what to do. . They are going to be so lonely all by themselves. I am guessing the two that were starting fights are cockerels? Should I send a picture of the two that started the fights?

7. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    Why do chicks so young, fight?

8. Naliez

Naliez Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2015
    In the top picture, they do have pretty pink combs, but I've never seen that much aggression so young. I'd find out who is the aggressor and get rid of him, either cull or rehome.

9. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    I also have never seen aggression this young before. I can't cull, there's no way. But I'll try to rehome. I have had offspring before from the exact parents these are out of, and there has never been a problem.. is there something I did wrong with these kids? Is it the "momma" that taught them to be so mean , because she was attacking all her non cochin chicks?

10. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    One of the two aggressors. You think cockerel?

[​IMG]
    This is the other aggressor. Possible cockerel?

The next pics are the ones that were getting picked on and injured from the two pictured above. Are these also cockerels?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by