Hard Tumor, Clumped Feather Thing on Fern's Chest

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Boo, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    Fern is a 1.5 year old EE. She molted really hard a couple of months ago and has all of her feather back now and looks beautiful. EXCEPT - she has had 2-3 feathers sticking out in the wrong directions on her chest for a couple of weeks. Last night I had an opportunity to pick her up and smooth out her feathers. Under her feathers she has a hard "growth" on her chest with the feathers sticking out of it.

It is ~3/4" long, 1/2" wide. It is hard and she did not seem to mind my digging a finger nail into it (did not penetrate much and nothing came off). I moved it around and that did not bother her either. I tried to get a good look at it but it is well covered with feathers.

I am wondering if she has a bunch of feathers matted together or a bunch that did not grow in right. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Otherwise, she is eating and drinking and acting normally.

I was tempted to just take a pair of scissors to it and see what was underneath. If it is just matted/glumped feathers, this cannot be good for her skin underneath.

Any ideas.

Thanks,
    Chicken Boo

2. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    [​IMG]

3. Chicken Boo

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    Anybody have any ideas?

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Can you post a picture?

5. Stef in Davis CA

Stef in Davis CA Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2008
    Riverside, CA
    I'd try bathing her in warm water with a tiny bit of mild soap--if it's a clump of mud or something, it should soften and break apart. It it's fleshy, it could hurt her to cut it off! Good luck!

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Are you sure its not just a full crop?

7. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    I agree with bathing her or at least the portion near the clump. Finding out of it's a cyst or ingrown feather or just dirt would be the first step in figuring out how to treat her.

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:x2 get someone to help you. They generally enjoy sitting in a pan or sink of warm water after you've got them settled in. I think the area will be easier to investigate if it's wet. Plus, if it's build-up, the warm water will help soften it...

9. Chicken Boo

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    I have been out of town helping my grandmother who just got out of the hospital.

I brought Fern in tonight and got a really good look at what is under her feathers. It in not an impacted crop. She has a huge lump (~1.5" out from her chest). It is multi-colored and has featherless parts to it. It appears to be a tumor of some kind and not "clumped feathers" like I was hoping.

Anyone know of a bird vet in Maryland?

10. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    search on line for avian doctor. good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by