Hard Ware Cloth

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dilly, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    What is this?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I know ... it's a really silly name for it.

Hardware cloth is actually wire that is welded into small squares - about 1/4x1/4 inch or 1/2x1/2 inch.

It is very strong and because of the small holes nothing can get their paws, heads, feet or whatever through it.

I'm guessing someone here has a good picture of some ... hopefully they'll see this and post a picture. I'll look around and see if I can find one.

3. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Hardware cloth, not chicken wire, is what you want to make your coop out of if you have predators around. Chicken wire can literally be ripped apart by racoons, hardware cloth is much strunger and sturdier and nothings paws can reach in through it. It's definitely the way to go if you don't want lots of heart ache.
    [​IMG]

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Hardware cloth is actually made of metal wire welded together, has square holes in it, and is somewhat flexible.

It comes in a range of sizes.

This gaurd in my homade incubator is made of hardware cloth.

[​IMG]

5. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Okay thanks. That makes sense, I kept reading about this really tough Cloth and thinking are you kidding me. [​IMG]

6. RedTailRanch

RedTailRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Portland, OR
    My Coop
    I also found some hardware cloth at Home Depot that is coated (some sort of green rubber I guess). It is a little nicer for covering coop windows (especially on some of these Poultry Mansions I see on BYC). It might also be a little nicer for those who use it as the flooring in their brooders (easier on chick feet).

7. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    Quote:So true! Sort of brings chain mail to mind, doesn't it? [​IMG]

Cassandra

8. newchickwi

newchickwi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2008
    Butternut, WI
    It also makes a good screen for sifting compost...attach to a frame, fit over cart or wheelbarrow, shovel compost on top and work small bits through. Put the too-big stuff back in pile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by