Hard ware wire

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Suzierd, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I am wrapping hard ware wire around the chicken run. I am going to go about two feet out on the ground, my question is what do I steak it to the ground with? Tent steaks? Thanks for any help.

2. wilbilt

wilbilt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2012
    Nor Cal
    You could dig the dirt out a few inches deep and then cover the wire with dirt or gravel. Some tent stakes or spike nails could help secure it, too.

I use heavy wire about 8" long, then bent into a "U" shape to hold down things like plastic sheeting and landscape fabric. I just pound it in the ground like a big staple.

3. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
  4. bwalden

bwalden Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Arkansas
    Landscape fabric pins work pretty well. Lowe's & Home Depot both carry them.

5. Suzierd

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks everyone! I'm putting a skirt of hardware wire around my run this weekend and hope I can sleep better. I worry so much about my silkies I want to put a baby monitor in the coop but my husband thinks I'm crazy. :)

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If you bend it so it lays flat there's no real need to stake it.

Just cover it with an inch or so of dirt and let the grass grow up through it

7. WalkingWolf1

WalkingWolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Vermilion
    Oh, just do it and prove his point [​IMG]. In the end you'll have your baby monitor and he'll feel like a rooster cause he thinks he's right.

8. blessedchick

blessedchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2011
    I'm another one to vote go for the baby monitor! I plan on getting one even though my coop should be critter-tight by the time I'm done with it! I just put hw cloth all around my run last weekend. Sprayed the grass with Roundup and I plan to pile mulch on top of it. I'm going to put some potted plants in strategic places in hopes of weighing down that wire even more...

Here's my crazy question (one of 'em)...what do you use to cut hw cloth? I really tore up my arms using wire cutters last weekend...

9. SacCityChickens

SacCityChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Sacramento Ca
    A pair of bolt cutters makes short work of wire.
    Or you can put an abrasive wheel on a skillsaw, watch the sparks fly!
    Good luck

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  10. Suzierd

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I really do like the baby monitor idea, I will have to check into how far away they can be. I wouldn't worry about steaking it down
    Real tight then. I get thistles that grow around the run maybe I should wack them down. I have two goats and a horse that walk around the run
    I think they help keep the creatures away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by