Hard water and the nipple watering system

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gale65, Jun 16, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Anyone with hard water use nipples with success? I think I'm going to try them. My husband is being NO HELP whatsoever to help me decide what kind of feeder/waterer to use so it's all on you guys. Since we're very short on room I think maybe the nipples on a 2 gallon bucket would be the most space saving option for us. But we have well water which is pretty hard so I wasn't sure how it would work with the nipple system.

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I have not tried nipples with hard water but it might work better with waterer cups like the picture below. There is a bigger area for the water to go through so less chance of getting blocked from mineral deposits.

[​IMG]

3. gale65

I was originally going to go with cups but do they get all gross inside? My chicks seem to get feed in the waterer within 30 seconds after I refill it. So I thought the cups would get full of feed and then be hard to clean out.

4. happymom99

happymom99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    Quote:I'm interested in this too. Also, I was wondering how many cups you need for a small flock.

5. gale65

Oh also, if I use the nipples can I still use ACV in the water?

6. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    I have very hard water and use only nipples. Using them for 2 years now and I have never had a problem. Those chickens bang away at the nipples pretty hard. I am sure the scale is knocked off.
    I do use a bucket ( 2.5 to 3 gallon size) and clean it once a week.

7. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I swipe my finger in the bottom of the cup once per week to remove any dirt. There is only a fine line of dirt that builds up in that time so the water stays fresh for them to drink from so it has not been a problem.

8. gale65

What about for winter? Is the cup system or the nipple system better for freezing weather? That was another concern about the cups and using a pipe. With the nipples I think I can put them right in the bucket and put in a heater or something to keep it from freezing.

Or what about using a regular waterer (the plug-in type) in the winter and the nipples in the warmer months. Do the chickens get confused if you do this?

9. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    I use my nipple water all year round with a aquarium heater in it. The cups can't handle the freezing. There is no real good way to keep each cup heated and they get brittle with prolonged use as well.

10. gale65

Curious if using ACV in the water (1 tbs per gallon) will help prevent the hard water from being a problem?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by