Hard yellow nasal congestion, no other symptoms

Newtie

Chirping
13 Years
Apr 11, 2011
I have an 8 month old bantam hen that has an ongoing nasal congestion but is otherwise healthy and energetic. Eats well, drinks, runs, plays, sleeps, etc. The congestion is yellow, hard, and smelly. An older hen of ours would every once in a while have the same issue (like once every year or two and she lived to 9), and she was in the same area as this hen. No other chickens have this issue.

I had treated the older hen with Tylan 50 but am wondering if this is the right course? We don't have a knowledgeable chicken vet in the area.

Thanks!

Sounds like a Respiratory Infection, my notes says = Tylan 50 (.2cc per lb, 2 - 3x day 5 days) Hang in there the more experienced will be chirping in .... You may want to update your profile with your location, helps us determine time zone, weather conditions & predator possibilities.

@azygous @casportpony @dawg53 @Wyorp Rock @WVduckchick
Thank you all in advance & have a Merry Christmas all

Thank you all. I had already cleaned her up for the evening so a photo won't help right now. There's actually not much to see on the best of days. It looks like a smoothly clogged nostril with a slight scab over it. With a little warm water on a paper towel I can loosen the "plug" and it'll come out as a solid pale yellow mass. The rest of her face isn't swollen and it has not noticeably affected her appetite or personality.

As for location, I'm in Virginia so EST. She has a heater and is sheltered (she actually lives in our garage right now, away from the rest of the flock).

Based on the comments above about a canker, I google photos and it *could* be that, in the early stages? She has no other items around her mouth, just the one nostril. I ordered both Tylan and Fish Zole, just in case. She's a special hen!

Based on the comments above about a canker, I google photos and it *could* be that, in the early stages? She has no other items around her mouth, just the one nostril. I ordered both Tylan and Fish Zole, just in case. She's a special hen!
Start her on the metronidazole first. You should see improvement by day 5 IF it's canker. When you get the chance, look inside her mouth for lesions, particularly the roof of her mouth.

Last edited:
I've looked through her mouth and can't see anything. I think it's just the nasal cavity. No, I can't be sure I've extracted everything because she's quite small and it's essentially up her nose. The material is hard but I'll try pushing on the corners. Sometimes I have to use tweezers to pull it out.

Quick question, is canker contagious?

Thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom