1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hardboiled Eggs for 6 Week-Old Chicks O.K.?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenfeathers, May 17, 2007.

1. chickenfeathers

chickenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

If so, how often? [​IMG]

Thanks for your time! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bayourouge

bayourouge Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    central Louisiana
    i can tell you this, i feed boiled eggs to my hatchlings as soon as i take them out of the bator and continue that until day 2. it gives them a nice start. i dont see why it would hurt 6 wk olds

3. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    When mine were little, I gave them a boiled egg (no shell) in the evening at bedtime. I didn't do it every day, it depended on my egg inventory, but I don't think it would hurt them.

4. chickenfeathers

Quote:Many thanks.

I don't think you're dumb! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. cookinmom

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Quote:Yeah, that D is supposed to be for DEAR. [​IMG]

6. chickenfeathers

cookinmom,

Thanks for your reply. [​IMG]

A *really* disgusting thing happened the other day.

A baby bird was killed by a crow. The nest was in a pine tree over the chick's run.

The baby fell out of the nest into the run, (eyes not open, as yet). Before I could get to it, the 6 week-olds were all fighting over it & running around with it in their mouths.

They devoured it!!! :mad:

P.S. I guess hard-boiled egg wouldn't be so bad. I have a really strong stomach but that was too much for me. I'm feeling ill, just typing this. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. cookinmom

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    EEWWW! That is gross. Have you read 4HMom's description of her chickens killing and eating a mouse?
    They love hard boiled eggs though. I used to feed them from my hand, but then they started trying to take my fingers with the egg, so now they only get them in a dish. They know when that purple dish appears though!

8. chickenfeathers

Quote:Yup, grossed me out too! :eek:

[​IMG]

9. bayourouge

bayourouge Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    central Louisiana
    yea i know the D is for dear but my TW(trophy wife) said it's for DUMB around hear, lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by