hardboiled eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by abejita, Sep 14, 2011.

1. abejita

abejita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    So today I cooked my first hardboiled eggs from my backyard flock. I know how hard it is to peel fresh eggs so I did a google search to see if there was an easier way. There was one way that seemed to pop up more than any other, so I tried this method and it worked like a charm, so i thought I would share it here. It is very easy and I got perfectly peeled eggs!

1. bring a pot of water to a rapid boil.
    2. once the water is boiling, gently lower your super fresh eggs into the boiling water
    3. leave eggs boiling to your desired amount of doneness. My teeny tiny pullet eggs to about 6 minutes to cook to a very soft yolk (which I like)
    4. remove boiled eggs and plunge them into an ice bath
    5. leave eggs in bath for 5 or 6 minutes, then peel as usual.

I am now enjoying my first egg salad sandwich from my backyard flock!

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    A google search? You should've searched here first! But glad it worked for you & it was nice of you to post it for others. [​IMG]
    I've also read on here that eggs that are about 2 wks old make for easier peeling once they're boiled. Havent actually tried it, but I still read a lot in the forums to learn more.

3. abejita

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I only have two hens laying...well, as of today...three hens laying, so there aren't any two week old eggs!

4. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Did you allow the eggs to come to room temp before putting them in the water? I would think they would crack if you put cold eggs in boiling water.

5. abejita

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    You know, I didn't think that far ahead and I put them straight from the fridge into the boiling water...no cracks. Although the shells and membranes on my eggs are made of kryptonite compared to store bought eggs!

6. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    New to fresh eggs too, did what you did a few weeks ago, DH thought I put tons of mustard in salad to look at it, nope that's just our healthy girls fresh eggs! Beautiful egg salad!

7. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    That is the only way I know how to cook hard boiled eggs. With the large ones I cook them for 14 min. Perfect every time. The key is the ice bath after boiling. It separates the membrane inside the egg from the shell.

8. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:The color of the yolks are amazing.

9. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Does salt in the water help or not?

10. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quote:Who refrigerates their fresh eggs??? I keep mine proudly on the counter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by