Hardest Chicken Eggs to Hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken Keith, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Chicken Keith

Chicken Keith Chillin' With My Peeps

My experience is definitely the Black Copper Marans. Out of 14 BCM eggs, right now I have 5 chicks. #6 was pipped for about 12 hours today, then a few minutes ago I noticed no movement of the beak inside the egg. Chick was dead, ...oh so close to have come out. Did not have the energy to zip. Do you all see this frequently??? Also Marans in general have shown the highest tendency to go breech, i.e. head at pointy end. At least with my dorked-up incubator, that has eggs on the side.

My old incubator (TX-7) is officially being retired after this hatch. Welcome Brinsea!!! The TX-7 laid eggs on their side, and the circular wheel auto egg-turning motion never seemed to keep the pointy ends down all the time. So frustrating.

So....

What breed chicken have you found the toughest to hatch?

2. Chicken Keith

Wow, no replies. Really? Somebody out there, can ya please answer?

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have not found any tough to hatch, all though EE are often elongated. I am not crazy about that shape.

4. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Can't claim to know which is the hardest eggs to hatch, but I'd guess it would be Marans only because the shell is so dark its hard to see what's going on inside But I totally disagree with your assessment of the TX-7.. Don't know how old it is, but I've had a TX-4 since the late 70s. I also have a TX-6 The difference between a TX-6 & TX-7 is a turning motor. In my opinion you can't get a better incubator. I have hatched Chicken, Ducks, Pheasants, Quail, including Button Quail in those things It's true that the eggs lay on their sides, but of all the eggs I've incubated I've had maybe 5 that had the air cell on the wrong end. At least half of those I was able to hatch. I'm talking probably 3000 eggs, maybe more. I updated the TX-4 to a TX-6 & when I bought the TX-6 I used the converted TX-4 to a hatcher. I also have a Roll-X that's as old as the TX-4 What I like about them is that they are really easy to set up, both temperature & humidity & are highly accurate. I've had very little mechanical problems, all of which were easy to fix.
    I don't hatch in either my TX-6 or my Roll-x & I clean the TX-4 after every hatch, sometimes taking it apart to blow out the fuzz & I've always used distilled water to avoid the calcium build-up that you get from most tap or well water. They don't have any signs of build-up in them, the bases look brand new
    I think they are great & wouldn't consider using any other incubator

5. Chicken Keith

To each his own, Bill. I can't speak for you, but I can sure darn well speak for me. Have you tried a Brinsea Octogon 20 Advance EX? I'd bet you'd do more than consider using it, I bet you WOULD use it. Sure I've had success with my TX-7, but if a better product is out there (and believe me sir, there is) why not try it? Do you hatch Marans eggs, ever?

6. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Well, I'll agree with you. If I had a Brinsea I'd probably use it. I've heard they were good. BUT, when you have something that works as well as mine, there's simply no reason to buy something else. OH!!, while were at it, remember to give me a call in 40 years & tell me your Brinsea is still working.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    Good point.[​IMG]

8. Chicken Keith

If I'm still around in 40 years you can bet I'll find the scotch (or whatever beverage you prefer) and we'll get together to celebrate we're still alive & kicking. Forget the incubator debate! [​IMG]

9. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by