Hardest decision ever :-( - UPDATE post 69!!!!!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by technodoll, Jan 1, 2010.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    It is with great sadness and a broken heart that I have decided to let Sunshine, my EE cockerel, cross the bridge tomorrow [​IMG]

My friend is coming over to do the deed, he grew up on a farm and has experience on dispatching chickens quickly and painlessly. He will do it in our garage, I cannot watch and am already crying, but my heart has agreed with my head that this is the best decision for everyone.

This poor boy has been sick since the day I "rescued" him from that horrible chicken-mill on November 17th.

The other three birds I got there are doing fine after all the treatments, thankfully, so I don't feel like a complete failure.

Sunshine has been in our bathroom, crated and pampered and treated, for 2 weeks now to no avail, his bronchitis (or pneumonia, I don't know what he has) is getting worse. He's not eating much, his feathers are dull and droopy, he's a mess of dandruff and is just so pitiful. First the lice, then the worms, now this - he's just not strong enough to recuperate.

Even if he does get better, once he's back in the coop all bets are off - and I have my flock's health and safety to think about.

I don't want to use him in my breeding program, I already have 4 roos (besides him) and I cannot re-home such a sick bird.

I just hope he will be in a better place and that he knows mama loves him.

Worst first day of the new year, ever.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Oh, that's so sad. I'm very sorry. I think you are doing the responsible thing, though. [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] It's wonderful that the others are doing well. And it's wonderful that the little guy was treated so well at the end of his life...

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] Awww, I'm sorry for him & for you too. But it's good that you're being sensible about it and providing a quick & humane trip Across The Road for him. If he were this ill in the wild he would have been taken by a predator already who wouldn't have been as thoughtful. I think that ill & injured animals have this sense of dread knowing how vulnerable they are, it isn't always a kindness to prolong a doomed existence to its natural end.

It's also good that you have a friend willing & able to dispatch him for you. It's a sad reality we chicken keepers must face, that we need to know just how we plan to euthanize any ill or injured chickens, and know this long before we ever have need to do it. Sometimes it's helpful to have an impartial 3rd party do the deed, so they're not as emotionally attatched & can focus simply on doing the job quickly & humanely. You can dig a deep hole at the drip line of a favorite bush or tree and let your roo nourish its growth throughout the New Year. As you watch it grow & thrive you can find comfort in knowing it's because of the Sunshine at the roots.

5. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    I am sorry for all you have been through lately with your flock. You are making the right decision for him and for you. Find comfort in the fact that you are doing the humane thing in this situation. This year WILL be better.

6. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Quote:Now I can't stop crying, this is too beautiful and thoughtful...

Thanks for your support, everyone, I really appreciate it.

I never thought I'd have to face anything like this so soon, but then again the hardest lessons in life are the most worthy and make us stronger.

Just wish it didn't come at this price.

7. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    You are making the right decision both for your household and for Sunshine. I was faced with the same decision, but to put my whole flock down, about a month ago. I still miss them, but I know I did the right thing too. You are lucky to have a friend who is able to help you through this. Count your blessings and rest in the peace of knowing that you provided Sunshine a great home while he was with you and you provided him a humane ending when it was time.

8. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Over the years we've gotten many trees & bushes that are "powered by poultry". It makes a sad situation more bearable over time, we'll say "Look how tall Norton's tree has grown!" or "Bill's bush is flowering again". I put my favorite broody bantam hen under my peach tree and think fondly of how she's helping more little fuzzies to grow each time that tree produces fruit.

9. smileyfacecat

smileyfacecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Wrentham, MA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I'm sorry you've had such a hard road lately! [​IMG]
    Three of my first four chickens were roos, and I had to get rid of them (the neighbor dispatched and ate two). We are both fortunate to have people around who can take care of this for us. I cried off and on for two days. Know that you are doing the right thing, and the best thing for your flock. You will feel much better after a couple of days, that this is taken care of, and hopefully this is a new beginning!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by