It is with great sadness and a broken heart that I have decided to let Sunshine, my EE cockerel, cross the bridge tomorrow My friend is coming over to do the deed, he grew up on a farm and has experience on dispatching chickens quickly and painlessly. He will do it in our garage, I cannot watch and am already crying, but my heart has agreed with my head that this is the best decision for everyone. This poor boy has been sick since the day I "rescued" him from that horrible chicken-mill on November 17th. The other three birds I got there are doing fine after all the treatments, thankfully, so I don't feel like a complete failure. Sunshine has been in our bathroom, crated and pampered and treated, for 2 weeks now to no avail, his bronchitis (or pneumonia, I don't know what he has) is getting worse. He's not eating much, his feathers are dull and droopy, he's a mess of dandruff and is just so pitiful. First the lice, then the worms, now this - he's just not strong enough to recuperate. Even if he does get better, once he's back in the coop all bets are off - and I have my flock's health and safety to think about. I don't want to use him in my breeding program, I already have 4 roos (besides him) and I cannot re-home such a sick bird. I just hope he will be in a better place and that he knows mama loves him. Worst first day of the new year, ever.