Hardiest and best laying breed

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenCrazy8, Aug 28, 2013.

1. ChickenCrazy8

ChickenCrazy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
    I was thinking of expanding my flock in the future. And I was wondering what you all think is the best chicken breed for egg laying and being hardy; both for winter and sickness/disease wise. I am currently sold on EE's; Cold hardy, small comb, good layers. But, I was curious of which breed you all think is the best!!!!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that Wyandottes are the best laying breed that is also hardy. My birds lay 4 eggs a week in the winter (sometimes in below zero temperatures), and six or seven eggs a week in the summer months (in 90+ degree heat). They have had no frostbite, nor any heat problems. I don't think that they would have any problems even in colder weather than mine have experienced.

I have one Easter Egger too. She's just as hardy as my two Wyandottes, and is a pretty good layer. In fact, she is probably pretty similar in all areas, but is not quite as good a layer.

1 person likes this.
  3. SuburbSpurs

SuburbSpurs Chillin' With My Peeps

I say rhodies or australorps

4. Wyandottes7

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with you; Rhode Island Reds and Australorps are good layers and quite hardy. However, I think that in extremely cold weather, their single combs would freeze more easily than the rose comb or pea comb of a Wyandotte or Easter Egger.

5. SuburbSpurs

SuburbSpurs Chillin' With My Peeps

6. Wyandottes7

Jul 24, 2013
    Yeah, I forgot about that. However, I've never personally seen a Rose Combed Rhode Island Red, so I think that they are somewhat rare/difficult to find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by