Harding's bloody head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sekeyslaks, Aug 25, 2014.

1. sekeyslaks

sekeyslaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    Hello!:) you may know me from my earlier post on my hen that is egg bound,well this same hen I found this morning being bullied by the others(the pecking order has changed recently),her head is completely bald and bleeding and I am not quite sure how to treat her,my chickens are normally docile so I'm out of practice with these kind of wounds.right now I'm keeping her separated till she heals.I'm worried by how hard she was hit because she closes her eyes sometimes,can anyone tell me what kind of medicine I should put on her head?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can clean it with weak Betadine or Hibiclens, then apply Neosporin plain antibiotic ointment or your favorite brand. After it has healed for a few days, I would then start spraying it with BluKote from the feed store so that she can go back into the flock without being attacked, but watch them to make sure. I have treated my polish hens when they have be scalped a few times, and they will form a scab that eventually falls off. Then you will see new feather shafts coming in, but keep spraying the head until they are all grown in because the others will pick out the new feathers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  3. sekeyslaks

Jun 25, 2014
    If I use a spray won't it get in her eyes?I have Neosporin and Bactine spray right now No Betadine or Hibiclens.I have never heard of Blu-Kote.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

The Blue Kote I bought came with a sponge tip applicator, for me that was easier then the spray.

5. sekeyslaks

Jun 25, 2014
    Oh that makes things easier,how convenient!Thank you![​IMG]Anyone else want to comment?

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, most stores sell both the spray ans the dab-on kind of BluKote. You can also buy Gentian Violet (the blue of Blu-Kote) in small bottles in the first aid aisle of Walmart and drug stores for a lot less. Add a little rubbing alcohol and you have BluKote.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by