1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hardware Cloth 1/2 inch vs. 1/4 inch

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by joebryant, Jul 27, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

The walls/posts on the outdoor run that I'm building now will be eight feet tall (ten feet with two feet in ground). My world will go around a lot faster if I use two rows of 4-foot high 1/2-inch hardware cloth because I cannot find 4-foot high 1/4-inch, only 3 foot. What are the benefits of having 1/4 inch along the bottom of the run; can a coon reach through 1/2 inch? If so, I'll use 1/4 inch and plan to do something else with the top one foot of the posts.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I think 1/2" would be fine. not much of anything can get through 1/2" squares that wouldn't be eaten by the chickens before it could get them!

A paw small enough to get through 1/2" wouldn't be large enough to do much, if any damage...

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    It seems 1/2" should be fine. How wide and long will the coop be?

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I prefer 1/2", as it is usually made with a larger, stronger gauge of wire than the 1/4". That's a good thing!

1/4" will keep out mice, which 1/2" won't. I don't care about that. I just care about keeping things out that will attack my chickens. We've never had a mouse problem in the coop, anyway.

1/2" will keep out rats.

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Up here we have a stoat (tiny weasel) problem. They will kill chickens even though they are so small. For them, you would need to get the 1/4" wire. And every size wire should come in different gages. The gage of the wire is how thick / strong it is.

Maybe ask around and see what predators cause the most problems in your area?

6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Thanks, Alaskan, Woodlandwoman, Ibpboo, and arlee453 for your advice/experience. I went to Home Depot yesterday and bought two 25-foot rolls of the 1/2 inch that's 48 inches wide plus some extra.

There was a third roll of 1/2 inch that I first picked up and put in my cart. Then I picked up the second of the three rolls that they had; that one felt much heavier than the former, so I put the first one back and took the third one instead. I took the light-weight one to the manager and told her about it. She said someone had bought it, used part of it, and returned the rest for a FULL refund. Talk about TACKY!
    She marked the third roll down 75%, so I got it for about $13. When I got home, I measured it, and there was 12 feet in the roll. So I now have 62 feet of 48 inch wide 1/2 hardware cloth, and I'm all set to go finishing up the two walls/gates; the garage walls are the other two walls. Thanks again!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Those stoats sound nasty. I think the smallest we have to worry about down here is the lesser weasel and the 1/2" is supposed to keep them out.

8. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Quote:some people are unbelievable! And to think that they actually GAVE them a DISCOUNT? they are just as wrong!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by