hardware cloth and staples (note these staples are 1 /12" deep not normal staples)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wahmommy, Jan 4, 2013.

1. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    Is this enough? Our contractor is insisting that a raccoon cannot pull out these staples on the coop - we do have raccoons and coyotes

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Are these for a run or a coop window? The hardware cloth for my windows are screwed with washers in all by barns/coops.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  3. wahmommy

Aug 14, 2010
    we are doing a combined coop /run (open coop style, last four feet are sheltered, first 3 feet are open walls that are covered in hardware cloth. The staples are contractors staples that are 1 1/2" long, not normal staples.

4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    The staples by themselves may work loose over time. What you can do, is to install 1X4 trim boards over all the screen edges. Not only does it reinforce the screen to frame union, but it gives a finished look to the job. Check out the pic below and see the trim boards over the front and side windows. I used the same staples as you, and put the trim over them.
    Jack

[​IMG]

5. wahmommy

Aug 14, 2010
    Okay, well I will see what the contractor is doing, I believe we are using something to finish off the edges so that might work. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by