Hardware cloth as coop floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MR.PEEPS, Dec 5, 2012.

1. MR.PEEPS

MR.PEEPS Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2011
    Stanwood
    Hi I am planing on making a new coop in the spring and I got sum ideas one of them is to use hardware cloth for a floor and have a tray under it to catch the poo like a bird cage. has anyone done this how is it working for you photos will be help full.

Thanks
    Richard

2. ChemicalchiCkns

ChemicalchiCkns Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2012
    The Coop I use, has Hard Ware Cloath on bare Ground. I wood Chips from the Trees above as a deep Litter.

3. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    I'm going to try 1/4" hardware cloth as a floor, but I'm going to put some sort of deep litter on it. I need to insulate the floor due to cold winter temps.

4. ellenf

ellenf New Egg

Mar 9, 2011
    My coop has hardware cloth for the floor. In the winter, I cover it with shavings to keep it warmer in there but in the summer I just use a poop board under the roost (on top of the hardware cloth) so there is more ventilation. It seems to work well for me. This is my first coop so I've no experience with anything else! Most of the poop will not fall through to a poop board below, if that's what you were thinking. The board would have to be on top of the cloth.

5. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I agree, chicken poop is way too big to fall through hardware cloth. I know there is at least on person on here that build a pull out floor and she just cleans it everyday.

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It really doesn't make a lot of sense to use hardware cloth as flooring and then cover it with something else.

There are cheaper, easier, more durable options

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Double posted

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  8. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop