Hardware cloth as looring in chicken coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PStenger, Apr 9, 2016.

1. PStenger

PStenger Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2016
    Hello all. My sister is building a chicken coop (first time novices) and she has an idea that hardwood cloth, when wrapped completely around the inside of the coop, including the floor would be the best protection against predators. Note that this is the area under the actual coop which is raised and would essentially close in everything save essential doors by wrapping sheets of hardwood cloth from side to side and anchoring on the bottom pieces of wood. She is currently looking for "something" to secure it to the dirt ground, or here in Georgia, red clay so that if any critters do manage to dig under it, they will come up to the hardwood cloth. I am wondering if anyone else has used this method and if so, did it work, or if not, do you see any flaws we're overlooking? Thanks for any advice you may have[​IMG]!

2. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Hello and :welcome
    We're glad you joined us!

I have never heard of this method before, but I'm not sure it is a good idea or not. I have dog that broke into our chicken coop and he bit right through the wire and made a huge hole. I wouldn't chance it, but it wouldn't hurt to ask, maybe you can get some more helpful advice in the "coop and run- design construction and maintenance" forum. Good luck. :)

3. PStenger

Apr 9, 2016
    Thanks! I'll do that.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I've read that some members bury the hardware cloth into the ground,and add rocks / stones to anchor the wire and further deter diggers - others do the same ,but add hardware cloth on the ground around the border of the run / coop.

Also checking out the "predators and pests" forum, as well as joining your state thread (just type the name of your state in the search box) will help in predicting what likely critters you will be up against.
    Best of luck

CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Predators can slice through flimsy chickens wire like butter. I've never heard of them tearing through hardware cloth. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

6. PStenger

Apr 9, 2016
    Great suggestion. Thx!

7. PStenger

Apr 9, 2016
    We did manage to learn that much. LOL. Thx!

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]
    This is my latest chicken coop and it is being wrapped on all 6 sides that hard wire cloth to keep out the little critters and yes it works better then not having any at all .

[​IMG]
    I get the big #32 penny nails hat the hard where store to hold the wire to the ground and your sister has dune her homework very well but you also need to think about getting your poultry off the ground and up high when ever you can .

9. PStenger

Apr 9, 2016
    Thanks so much!! You're coop is amazing. That helps a lot considering the project has already been started and my brother in law would be none too happy with us if we had to change it. The actual coop is off ground by about 3 feet so I think we're good to continue.

10. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    It would be easier and cheaper to run elec fence wire under it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by