1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hardware cloth goes how high?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kikiriki, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    I've read a lot of posts but am asking about your experiences with using hardware cloth only as the bottom of the fencing around a run.

Has anyone had a predator (hawks, coons, and possums here) climb up fencing and get through chicken wire?

Will they climb to the top and get through chicken wire or netting?

Will they access a roof of an attached building to come down into the run?

What has been a successful for you to deter hawks from free ranging chickens in your yard or pasture?

I only have three pullets and cannot afford to feed the wildlife!

Thanks in advance for sharing! :D

2. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Im not really experienced yet but we are just finishing up our run now. We did 3 feet on the bottom of the run with hardware cloth and extended it an additional one foot under ground so a total of 4 feet. then we did the top 3 feet with a poultry wire and also the roof in poultry wire. I only did it this way to save a little bit of money and I figured if something was gonna climb up and chew its way through it would happen at night when the girls are tuck safe inside of their coop for the night. Im glad you posted this im excited to see responses especially about the hawk deterants while free ranging. Our hawks are stalking our chicks right now, theyve swooped down close a couple of times. I scream at them and run clapping my hands and waving my arms at them( a funny sight im sure) and probably not very effective lol but I try.

3. Kikiriki

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Hi chicken pickin, and thanks for responding.

I have seen hawks swoop under my extensive tree cover going after squirrels, but I have never seen one fly in when either I or my dogs are in the yard. Years ago I had one glide about four feet over my head in my parents large and open yard, though (both lovely and freaky!)

Has anyone tried a scarecrow? How about a fake dog?

Maybe there is a market for a big wireframe dog with a bobble head and fake fur!

4. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    We have eagles and hawks here, and one thing that I definitely recommend is making sure there are bushes and such for the chickens to run into or under.

5. Kikiriki

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    LOL-- Ive ben going around chopping down my bushes because they are either known toxins or suspected to be. I have one very invasive shrub that smells like some kind of medicine when you crush a leaf: that cant be good! Looks like I need to find more safe shrubbery to plant...only ones I have now are palms, hibiscus and guava. I can do a loquat in the back, as I only have one out front outside the fence. I do want to only do plants that provide food for both the human and poultry parts of the family... Any suggestions for other chicken safe shrubs?

6. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Well, since we live in the Pacific Northwest, I wouldn't be the one to ask about Florida shrubs! I'd check the Easy Gardener sister site. There's an excellent section on gardening with animals.

7. Kikiriki

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Thank you GardenGal! I will do that right away...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by