1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

hardware cloth hurts..

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Morgan7782, May 28, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    lol. I was out working on my coop and trimming all the hardware cloth 'barbs' when the fencing ATTACKED me out of nowhere! evil fencing. buyers beware, the edges are SHARP and out to get you.. [​IMG] otherwise it's good stuff. more expensive but I love the strength of it.

2. Violinist4lyfe

Violinist4lyfe In the Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    I have found a dremmel (sp?) tool with a grinding wheel helps with the cloth and keeps me further away from the metal and the boo boo's!

3. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Songster

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    ouch. [​IMG] i have a happy little scar on my shin from the same thing.

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I HAVE ONE OF THOSE! Well my mom does. She is just learning what it can do and stuff, but thanks for the tip!! much easier then going in bare handed. Gloves are too clumpy to work with. I feel like I was pulling blackberry bushes all day haha, and look like it!

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I can't touch the stuff without getting torn up!!!!!

Chicken wire is almost as bad, had some "sproing" back at me one time, spear my lip and make it bleed like crazy ---- the day before a job interview so I had this nice fat lip!!!! I was [​IMG] at it, but have since learned to be more careful.

6. Swampwood

Swampwood Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    Krotz Springs, LA
    LOL... Yep, I looked like a cat attacked me when I was done with mine.[​IMG]

7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I hate hardware cloth! I have scars from a year ago from it [​IMG]

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Crowing

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I unroll it and walk on it, to flatten it. That makes it less springy and much easier to work with. I let it curve down into the grass, to dig in and hold it. Then I unroll it, which is the harder part, with the roll kind of upside down for rolling. It's worth it not to have it be springing around like it's alive, though.

I'm always on the lookout for gloves that fit me well, when I'm out shopping. Even a thinner cotton will help protect your hands. A knit fabric will give and flex as you grasp with your hand. It really pays to have gloves that aren't too large, too small or the wrong shape for your hands.

My biggest problem with gloves is that my husband, who has an easy time finding gloves to fit, always steals mine! Then he loses them somewhere, like he does with his own. When I go to where I always keep my gloves, they'll be missing and he won't have any idea where they are. Last time I bought a couple of pairs and decided to sew beads and bunny buttons with flowers on them. He doesn't want to wear those! [​IMG]

9. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] i read the title on this thread and felt it was sooo true!
    [​IMG] hardwire sure does scrap up beautified hands!

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  10. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I use a pair of knit gloves that Farmtek threw in for free when I placed an order with them recently (thanks, Farmtek!). I try to make a clean cut using wire cutters, then I fold under about an inch of the cut edge, and walk on it to press it down really flat. I find this is easier than using those plastic edge covers (they're always popping off).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by