Hardware cloth or cage wire?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KDOGG331, Nov 3, 2015.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    At a smaller local hardware store right now originally to get hardware cloth so that we can make a space in the garage for our chicks to move them ou there today (they've been in the bathroom all week) but now they have other wire. We have I believe 2x4 or 2x3 green vinyl weld wire/garden fence at home (have identical thing here basically) but was concerned about mice so put them in bathroom for what was supposed to be overnight or a day or two and has turned into a week.

SO.

My question is would the cage wire work or should I just stick to hardware cloth? I just thought the cage wire seems heavier gauge but I didn't know if mice could still squeeze through as I know they can squeeze through tiny spaces.

They have both 1/2" and 1/4" hardware cloth in varying heights and 1"x1" and 1/2"x1" cage wire.

All galvanized.

I have pictures but I've bewn standing here a while. Maybe we could buy both? I just don't know if a mouse could fit through the cage wire and I don't want to take any chances.

TIA

2. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    IMO, the only advantage of cage wire is that it is self-supporting, not needing a frame to attach it to, like with HW cloth. Given the higher costs, I would avoid cage wire if I was using a frame anyway. Certainly some mice can get through 1x1 wire, but I can't imagine any but the tiniest getting through 1/2x1.

3. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

Sorry, I forgot to reply. :( anyway, thank you for your help!! Yeah, I figured the mice could still get through 1×1 but your probably right about the 1/2x1 and that's what my mom figured too. we ended up just getting hardware cloth. 1/2" and two different heights and length. Was gonna get a 1/4" too but decided against it. Two rolls are 24" high and two are I think 36" and one of them is only 5 feet of it and the other is 10 feet. We probably didn't need so much and each was like 13.99 and 14.99 I think (it's a smaller store so expensive) so I would have much rather have gone to Home Depot or Lowe's and gotten a 50 foot or 100 foot roll for like $60 or whatever it is but we neededit tonight so we had to. I may order some online though. But I figure we can always use it for the dig skirt and stuff too or use it for the run

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by