1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hardware cloth or Metal lathe

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by buffslat, Feb 22, 2012.

1. buffslat

buffslat Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    Southeast Missouri
    I have my coop design decided upon, but I am still wondering which will be better to protect my chickens hardware cloth or metal lathe? The link will show what the lathe looks like. http://www.lowes.com/pd_11811-46086...__0__s?Ntt=diamond+mesh+metal+lath&facetInfo=

It has very small openings. I can't even get the tip of my pinky finger through it. Cost wise it will be about the same.
    Just wanting some opinions.

Thanks

2. afveteran88

afveteran88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Deerfield, Michigan
    It would be alot easier to work with. I did the hardware cloth and wish I had seen this at lowe's. Look for the occasional 10% off coupon or if you know a veteran they get 10% automatically.

3. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

The metal lathe I've worked with in the past was not galvanized. It would rust out rather quickly.

4. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    Personally, I like the hardware cloth.

5. zinia8

zinia8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Reels Corner, PA.
    if it is anything like I used to put stone on my house, it is the meanest nastiest stuff to work with. the way it is designed is to hold cement to hang the stone on.It is oh how to explain the holes are staggered in and out so it holds the cement and it is sharp, couldn't touch the stuff without gloves on. In my opinion go with hardware cloth.

6. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    If you can get it galvinized or paint it, I would go with the lathe. The same reasons its considered hard to work with will better protect your poultry.

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    That's what I was thinking. As sharp and the edges are it would surely cut whatever tried to go through it. But then that may not be a bad thing. I would find a way to dip it in vinegar then dip in in paint. To paint that stuff with a spay would be crazy. Untreated it would not last.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by