Hardware cloth question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mi2bugz, Nov 2, 2013.

1. mi2bugz

mi2bugz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    I was wondering if the chickens are going to be locked up at night if it is necessary to use hardware cloth into the ground at the base of the run?

2. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    If your coop is secure and locked up, no need. however it is not a bad idea to do so with smaller mesh if you have weasels or rats in the area.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

My run has no skirt because my birds are secured at night and I don't have daytime predator issues due to lots of human activity around the barn in the daytime. I do have a hot wire around the run to discourage dogs.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It's never "necessary"
    It's just one more line of defense

Predators CAN dig in daylight too

5. mi2bugz

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    Thank you. We are outside a lot but I will probably still do the skirting. Was asking more for DH cause that is the part he doesn't like the most lol

6. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: From that remark I assume he's used to burying the wire.
    It's FAR easier to just lay it on the surface, and the most time consuming part is attaching it to the existing fence

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. mi2bugz

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    I am so thankful for that picture. So it DOESN'T have to go underground as long as it is far enough back! Thank you!!!!

8. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: That's correct.

Just cut strips 12-18" wide and lay them FLAT,then cover with just enough soil to hide them and the grass will grow up though them.

Overlap them at the corners

If you have a board around the bottom of your run you can attach them to that, or use "J-Clips" and attach directly to the fence wire

9. goldstar

goldstar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2013
    I always use a skirt around the coops and as you can see I like to place rocks on top of it. Another part of protection is the solar predator eyes that have two red led lights that flash, most predators that see them will not even think of approaching near the coop. Amazon has them for a good price. Just place them at 12 inches off the ground and attach them facing away from the coop. It will ward of raccoons coyotes cats dogs fox etc.

10. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I can attest that the hardware cloth skirt will quickly become one with the earth and bury itself for you! We have a hoop coop that we only move twice a year (it is big and very heavy). We put rocks on the hardware cloth skirt this summer, and last weekend when we got ready to move it, it took an hour of weed whacking, chopping with scissors, and steak knives to extricate it from the ground! Next year, we'll put black plastic underneath.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by