Hardware Cloth Questions

Weasleymum

Songster
11 Years
Aug 1, 2008
Virginia
I'm comparing prices online for hardware cloth... right now looks like Amazon has the best deal. Inches I understand, but steel gauges I don't have any point of comparison for! It seems that the 1/4" hardware cloth comes in a 23-gauge, but the 1/2" cloth comes in 19-gauge. Is 23 strong enough? If it is, is there anyplace can I find the 1/2" in a 23-g as well?

I used 1/2 inch 19 gauge...Check wayfair.com ...I got a REALLY good deal on it last spring..3 rolls 50 ft x 48" I paid 180.00 free shipping.The price there fluctuates tho..Ive seen it get really high and then go low again for whatever reason
Diane

19ga 1/2" x 1/2" GAW (Galvanized After Welding-important for rust reduction) is typical and fine for chicken stuff if attached using screws and washers or 1 3/4" heavy duty staples. 1/4" x 1/4" has smaller holes than necessary, not as strong and probably more costly.

The best price I found was ordering thru my local Ace Hardware 19ga 1/2" x 1/2" GAW 48" x 100' for $105.

Read more by doing an advanced search> titles only>hardware cloth

Thanks for the answers! That's exactly what I was thinking, that the stronger gauge was more important than the smaller holes.

1/2" x 1/2" right? Amazon can be cheaper if..did you get free shipping?
Of course, 1/2" by 1/2". Stupid numbers. 12" square, can you picture it? The chickens could walk straight through...

Yes to the free shipping... which it means it'll be here by Christmas or so.

Last edited:
Of course, 1/2" by 1/2".  Stupid numbers.  12" square, can you picture it?  The chickens could walk straight through...

Yes to the free shipping... which it means it'll be here by Christmas or so.  
Amazon shipping is pretty quick for me! Even the free shipping. I got mine a few months ago on wayfair, and it was free 2 day shipping. I still have soooo much leftover.

Back
Top Bottom