Hardware cloth vs Aviary wire

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DreamsInPink, Feb 26, 2016.

1. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Absolutely not.
    Chicken(aviary) Wire can be chewed thru much quicker than Hardware Cloth.
    Snakes, weasels, and rats can get thru the holes of CW.

Weird that the Wayfair link doesn't give the mesh size.
    1/2" is the most common size used

3. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Q&A says it's 1/2"

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  4. DreamsInPink

The aviary wire and hardware cloth openings are the same. 1/2" mesh... How can snakes, weasels and rats get through one that's 1/2" and not the other that is also 1/2".

I don't understand.

5. MeepBeep

Most aviary wire has larger 1" openings and that was likely just an overlook...

Regardless the difference between 19 gauge welded wire and 22 gauge twisted is huge, aviary netting provides little to no predator protection, it's for keeping birds confined not keeping predators out...

6. DreamsInPink

Ok, thank you very much. That makes more sense! I did not know the difference in the gauge was that much.

My next question, if you have time, so I don't have to make another thread... is an apron and a skirt the same thing when referring to the use of the hardware cloth around the perimeter of the run?

AND, how important is top notch security in the run if they will only be in it during the day... in our yard? In other words, can I get away with a less secure wire on and around a daytime run?

Thank you again!

7. MeepBeep

When you look a the diameter difference it doesn't appear to be much, but when you factor in how much steel that difference makes and the comparative tensile strength the 19 gauge is nearly twice as strong...

Likely...

Only you can make that judgement call... But, to be blunt a determined predator could result in loses in a very short time period, minutes in fact and regardless of many predator being nocturnal many will come out during the day when there is an easy pickings chicken buffet in front of them, especially when they have young to feed or food is scarce...

8. DreamsInPink

Ok, thank you.. I didn't know. That was why I was asking. And Idk about the run... my boyfriend doesn't want to spend twice the $ by using hardware cloth... so I just don't know. :/

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

1 person likes this.
  10. DreamsInPink

Yes, it should have been in the specs...

I have no idea about 1/2" chicken wire... Ugh. I'm feeling a little bit overwhelmed. (ok, a lot!) [​IMG] I do NOT know what to do. I have to contend with my boyfriend who likes to do things the cheap way... even though I'm the one funding it all. But I do not want to lose chickens because of a cheaper short cut. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by