Hardware cloth

vintage

Songster
Feb 25, 2021
Ky
I purchased 1/4 inch hardware cloth for my coop, planning on 1/2 inch for the run. Has anyone had issues with it and predators? I used it on my coop door, plan on it for soffits, nothing at ground level. I might be able to double it, if people have had predators tear through.

I purchased 1/4 inch hardware cloth for my coop, planning on 1/2 inch for the run. Has anyone had issues with it and predators? I used it on my coop door, plan on it for soffits, nothing at ground level. I might be able to double it, if people have had predators tear through.
I've had a predator tear some. Got 12 guinea keets all in one night!
Either badger or fox I'm guessing.
More often than not, its safe for them.

Most times it should be ok but every once in a while you will hear about something getting through. I think main concern would be bigger predators such as bears, mountain lions, ect. A good rule I live by is making sure the run and coop are secure. If something happens to get into the run then I want them to have to work hard again to get into the coop.

Just don't use this. My dog tore right through it not to eat the chickens. To eat the bisucts the chickens were eating.
Garden Zone - 24 x 50' Galvanized Welded Wire Fence - Murdoch's

The rest will be on soffits and within the run.

Attachments

• IMG_20210330_123613.jpg
    IMG_20210330_123613.jpg
    686.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20210330_123626.jpg
    IMG_20210330_123626.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 46
Most times it should be ok but every once in a while you will hear about something getting through. I think main concern would be bigger predators such as bears, mountain lions, ect. A good rule I live by is making sure the run and coop are secure. If something happens to get into the run then I want them to have to work hard again to get into the coop.
We don't have bears or mountain lions, but a minimal chance at a coyote. I'm super concerned about racoons, possums, foxes, ect. I did add a lip on the inside of the door so that a piece of plywood can be placed in there.

Key is to make sure the corners or edges are covered. I used screws with fender washers first, then covered the edges with 1x2's fastened with longer screws. My run is a hoop run, and I used metal zip ties and wire to fasten it to the cattle panels.
Simply using staples isn't good enough. A coon will pull them out.

Back
Top Bottom