Hardware Cloth

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jamieg, Jul 31, 2010.

1. jamieg

jamieg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Chili, Wisconsin
    What would be the best way to attach hardware cloth to a chicken run made out of dog kennel fencing? High high should I go with it also? Thanks.

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I use metal zip-ties from the home store and I recommend you go 2' high all around, but anywhere they might be roosting near the perimeter, you'll want to line that, too. The predators will reach through and pull the birds out bit by bit. You have to protect all roosting areas or have them in from the edge enough to be unreachable.

3. Desert Peep

Desert Peep Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    I have a similar set up using a chainlink dog kennel/run. I used those plastic zip wire ties (the ones that "click" as you tighten them) that you can get at home depot to attach the hardware cloth to the chainlink. I used 4' high on a 6' tall kennel. I attached mine to the inside of the kennel, so the chickens can't stick their heads through between the chainlink and cloth. Very simple and does the job.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  4. jamieg

jamieg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Chili, Wisconsin
    Thats what I was thinking. I have tons of plastic wire ties. Would that height also work well to keep rodents out of the run? So far I have had no problems but fall is coming!

5. Desert Peep

Desert Peep Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    So far I haven't had any rodent problems; so I'm crossing my fingers:)

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I would not count on it to keep out rodents. Rats and mice climb excellently well, they can easily go up and over the hardwarecloth-clad part of the fence, or (realistically) find little gaps to go thru at or below ground level.

Pat

7. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    I use Loxit rings. My kennel runs are completely wrapped in hardware cloth with a 2' apron.

Here is a pic of the Loxit rings used in attaching the hardware cloth to the chain link kennel. This particular pic is showing a detail of one of the seams.
    [​IMG]

8. ray2310

ray2310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Smithfield, PA
    We used zip ties. Easy and works great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by