hardware cloth

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by caspernc, Dec 10, 2010.

1. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    I'm looking for heavy gauge hardware cloth or what others call welded wire. all I have found is 19 gauge. I had a roll of 12 or 14 gauge that we have had for so long we dont know where we got it but it is ALOT heavier than what I can find. Agri - Supply even called all their venders and could'nt find anthing any heavyer. I want 1/2 inch in a 50 or 100 foot roll that is 4 foot wide. I'm putting it 2 inches under ground to keep out the fox and other digging preditors. I don't think 19 gauge will last in the ground for very long. Has anyone bought anything that is heavy gauge like I want and where did it come from?

2. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I found 16g 1 inch welded cloth at OSH - and it was by far the best price out there. Lowes may also have it as well. I could not find it in our local HomeDepots. Good luck!

3. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    I bought mine from Southern States, and they said all they offer is 19 gauge which must be the norm now, and I used 2 100' rolls for my run and coop, and it seems to be very tough, but I think all Southern States operate differently, so if you have one by, you might just call and see if they are a co-op, their inventory differs from the other stores from my experience.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    You don't have to bury the wire to deter diggers.

Place 12 to 24 inches of wire (galvanized chicken wire works well & lasts long) flat on the ground around the fence. Diggers are not smart enough to back up 12 inches - they always dig at the fence.

I acutally use 24 inch wide wire & have 12 going up the fence & 12 along the ground.

It only took a couple of weeks for the grass to grow through the wire & you can't even see it anymore.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Klubertanz sells 16 gauge 1/2" by 1/2" wire, but it's going to be expensive to ship because of its weight. I used this kind of wire to cover the windows and vents on my coop, but I used 19 gauge on the run simply because of expense. I reckoned that we have few likely daytime predators here, but I wanted to make sure no raccoons could get into the coop through the wire at night.

http://www.klubertanz.com/

W.A. Davidson sells low gauge wire, too:

http://www.wadavidson.com/index2.php?grp=10

6. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:I used a section of plastic coated fencing to bury 6 inches deep,(for corrosion control) and attached the chicken wire to it. See my BYC page.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Unless you are trying to control *small* things like rats (and if you are, well, good luck [​IMG]) there is no particular reason to use hardware cloth for your apron. Use something bigger (but no bigger than 2x4ish, unless it is ONLY large critters you want to keep out) -- the bigger meshes are easy to find in heavier gauges.

Pat

8. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Yes I'm trying to keep out the snakes and rats. the ceyotes fox and ferrel cats are real diggers also but don't need the 1/2 inch hole. I'm even ready for bears 1.5 jewel fence with bacon wraps. I don't want ANYTHING to get the chickens. We have migratory bears. I will be ready. Snakes are bad here. nothing poisonis but if the snake can get through the 1/2 inch whole the chickens can eat it!
    The wadavis site IS awsome!!!!! All the fence you would EVER want at a good price!

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:That's where I buy my 19 gauge wire. I get the vinyl coated type. It's a good product. It's galvanized under the coating, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by