Hardware cloth

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by samjo06, Oct 15, 2013.

1. samjo06

samjo06 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2013
    So I recently ordered hardware cloth from amazon only to find out that it was 23 gauge and 1/4" instead of 19 gauge and 1/2". Can anyone tell me if this is thick enough or if the size of the openings will make a difference? Or do I need to send it back as the wrong product and buy the thicker stuff?

2. kcobbs

kcobbs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Send it back and get the right size. This is very important for the protection of your chicks while they are in their run.

3. samjo06

Sep 17, 2013
    Is the difference between the two going to make a big difference in critter protection?

4. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

the 1/4 inch stuff will work fine, it's just harder to see through. I have used both gages and the thinner gage has proven to stop raccoons and a neighbor's great Dane, now how close you put staples makes da difference because a coon can rip it off if you put staples too far apart

5. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    As mentioned above, if you nail/staple it at close increments, the thinner stuff will be okay. If this were going to be a really large project (like a full 8' tall wall that's 8' long in nothing but hardware cloth) I'd say go with the thicker stuff. But for windows and small sides, etc...just be thorough in attaching it.

On the other hand, if your flock is going to be precious to you, or expensive, then it would be worth your while to send this back and get the thicker material.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  6. samjo06

Sep 17, 2013
    This stuff is being used to line around the bottom portion of my run (which is a dog run with 2" by 4" welded wire for roof protection).
    Planning on 2' up and 1' folded out to inhibit digging.

7. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

attach it good and it will be fine.

8. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    I would use it if that's what I had on hand. My brother used the 23 guage on his coop and he's never had an intrusion (and he's out in the country).

9. samjo06

Sep 17, 2013
    Update - Haven't had a breach yet, used the hardware cloth i found

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by