hardware cloth?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by samjo06, Oct 15, 2013.

1. samjo06

samjo06 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2013
    Working on predator protecting my chicken run and I ordered hardware cloth from amazon. It was supposed to be 1/2 inch 19 gauge, but it arrived and it's the 1/4 inch 23 gauge. Does anyone know if this will work to protect from raccoons or other predators?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It should work just as well, since it's only a little thinner, but has twice as many wires

3. cappy

cappy Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2009
    Cottageville, SC
    I had the 1/4" cloth around my aviary and coons ripped a hole in it to get at my button quail. I reinforced it with the 1/2" cloth and had no more problems.

Ken

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yeah, the 1/4 inch simply isn't as strong, i have some backing a window in my big hen coop, it's got a couple of popped wires that was done by me!! so it's being switched out to the stronger 1/2in not made that mistake again, i only use 1/2 and if i am real lucky the coated kind so my poor hands catch a break.

If you ordered 1/2 they should exchange it here anyways it does not cost the same...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  5. samjo06

samjo06 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2013
    I ended up using what they sent and it has been working well for some time now. Knock on wood we haven't had any intrusions into the run.
    Of course it's a second line of defense attached to our dog run chain link fence so that helps too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by