1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hardware mesh application

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by laur81soccer, May 29, 2016.

1. laur81soccer

laur81soccer New Egg

May 29, 2016
    Currently we have attached the hardware mesh to the bottom and the extended runner. Do you think it will be a problem to attach the external plywood overtop of the washer/screws that are lining the coop. I just don't want an animal to pull at them and cause a problem with the plywood. The mesh is screwed to the frame right now with 1 1/4 screws every 6" and then the plywood would be held on with about the same placement with larger screws.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    Welcome! Extra layers of protection are always good. [​IMG]
    The hardware cloth and overlaying woven wire are attached with fencing staples, and then the wood strips are screwed in. The doors are exterior grade from the Habitat Restore, and actually locked with a separate key. Raccoons are crafty, and a very large dog can be very destructive. It's on an old building foundation, so safe from diggers. I've had many years to upgrade, and hate disasters! Mary
    [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm not exactly clear on what you're describing, so a picture would help. My interpretation of your situation is that you want to apply plywood over top of hardware cloth. But your hardware cloth is currently held in place with fender washers/screws???? I would remove the washers/screws and just overlap the plywood and THEN screw through the plywood - the screw will still go through the hw cloth, so it will stay snug/secure without gaps. Of course I may not be understanding what you're trying to describe...

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    I was confused too, so pictured my coop instead! Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by