Hardware wire help needed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sharol, Jul 22, 2010.

1. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I want to make my new Hen Hoop more secure from predators, so I'm using hardware wire over the 1x2 welded wire that is used in the hoop.

[​IMG]

I have already covered "Area A" with hardware wire and fastened it securely. Area B is in question. Will 18" up from the bottom of the run be adequate, or should I cover more of the area? We live in an area where there are raccoons and possums, so reach-through is a real possibility. The girls will be free in the yard during the day when I'm home, but when I'm gone they will be shut in the run and coop area. They will be locked in the coop part at night.

[​IMG]

This is the people door. To put it in perspective, the hoop is about 4' tall at the highest point. I have covered the little chicken door at the bottom already, but I'm wondering how much of the rest of the front I should "laminate" with hardware wire.

I'm also going to develop a "skirt" with the hardware wire to prevent dig under, but that is still in the developmental stages.

Any input will be appreciated.

2. TiaView

TiaView Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Salem
    Wow. Don't know the answer to your question...but LOVE the coop. [​IMG]

3. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I do to. I knew when I bought it that I would have to tighten up the security, but it is REALLY sturdy. One of my big concerns is wind, and this puppy isn't going anywhere in a wind. Murray makes great coops (we went to MO to get it) of all sizes. I think he overestimates the number of chickens it will hold [​IMG], but I knew that going in.

I'm going to put a roost in the run in area A about 2' off the ground so the girls will have a place to go in the winter that isn't "cooped up" during the day if they wish. I'm also putting different roosts inside (he used round ones) after all I've read here about needing a flatter surface for their feet. This is fun, but I'm really tired cutting hardware wire.

4. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    I'm a firm believer in hardward cloth and lot's of it! I used it everywhere because I did not want to look back and say "I wished I had....." I have so much invested in the coup and run, why not secure it top notch if the money exsists. I also buried the hardware cloth 18 inches below ground and then had about 3 inches folded out with gravel then topped it off with dirt, just for my peace of mind, I hope this helps.

5. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Yeah, that's kind of how I'm leaning too. Better safe than sorry.

I'm planning to move it around for them (it is designed as a heavy tractor) with our little 4 wheel drive vehicle, so burying wire won't work, but I'm trying to figure a way to have a hardware wire skirt that can be lifted up to move it and then put back down and weighted with bricks or something. Still planning that part. If it were REALLY secure, they could spend hot nights in the run on the roost out there if they wanted to.

6. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Mine is perm. so I understand about having it moveable, and I think you would be fine having the cloth weighted down but easy enough for you to move, but as you are probably aware predators are very tenuous so make sure you have enough weight to prevent any losses, and by the way, I do like the hoop and I believe you doing it right [​IMG]

7. dude+chick

dude+chick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Waggaman, La.
    Always Use As Much As You Can And Secure It Very Well. Racoons Are Very Smart And Will Search For Any Flaw. I've Had Them Open Up The Hardware Cloth Where I Missed A Spot In Securing It And The Racoons Would Come At Night And Pull The Area Away From The 2x4, Slide In And Take A Chicken And Fix The Hardware Cloth Back The Way It Was And Then Come Back Each Night And Repeat. It Took Me Some Time, Missed Sleep And Chickens Before I Could Figure Out HOW I Was Losing Chickens. Take No Chances!! Secure.. Secure... Secure.....

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  8. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    [​IMG] Wow! That is the strangest raccoon story I have ever heard! Talk about a professional thief!

Love the coop! Looks space age or something. I've never had any problem with coons during the day, but I suppose it is best to be on the safe side. I would imagine that the 18 inches would be adequate..but I'm a newbie.

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    You're not talking about that big a space, why not just go ahead and cover the whole thing with hardware cloth?

To make an apron, you can use loxit clips to attach the edge of the horizontal apron to the edge of the hardware cloth running vertically up the sides of your tractor. One piece of hardware cloth for each of the four sides of the tractor. Then, you can flip up the sides when you're moving the tractor. This is what I did on my second tractor model, and it's working out so much better than the way I had the apron set up on my first tractor (the wire was just bent outwards from the side).

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What elmo said.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by