Hardy Birds/Winter Tips

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by OCDstricken10, Jan 19, 2017.

1. OCDstricken10

OCDstricken10 New Egg

Jan 19, 2017
    Hello I was wondering if you guys could think of some tips or birds that do well in the rain and blowing wind. I live in California and this winter has been pretty bad. I need some tips on some good hardy birds. Also are silkies cold hardy? Thnx! [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Tell us more? What is your set up? Do they have a cozy coop? Chickens will walk around in a rain but need a place to escape from it as well. Same with high winds. Give us more details about your coop set up.

3. OCDstricken10

OCDstricken10 New Egg

Jan 19, 2017
    I have coops with a top place to stay and a bottom place to eat and drink. I tried to get them up in the top but they refuse and will only stay on the bottom.

4. birdmanmax

birdmanmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    I don't think you have a problem with the cold I think a sickness may have ran through your flock or maybe some were to young to be out. Trust me I know cold and what it can do but usually most chicken breeds are fine in cold weather. Here in Michigan I have raised quite a few different breeds including silkies(non to not be very cold tolerable) and d'anvers, they seem to do just fine with temperatures ranging from -25F to 35F. Although I do make sure they have a way to get out of the rain and a fully enclosed area to get out of the wind.

5. OCDstricken10

OCDstricken10 New Egg

Jan 19, 2017
    Now that I think of it it could be a sickness. Thnx!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by