Hardy Blue Egg layers & Medicated feed

activia

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 1, 2012
Hi,

OK so I've decided I'm doing this. I am going in on some chicks with someone here locally and they have agreed to raise them till 3 months old for me. However, she said she always uses medicated feed as once she lost some chicks do to Cochaire. What do you guys think of this? Have you been able to raise without medicated feed successfully?

Second question is, I was thinking of getting 4 Rhode Island Reds, and 2 others that lay blue/green eggs... I live in southeastern MA and am not interested in providing a heat source so they need to be hardy. Any ideas?

They'll be hardy, trust me. The blue/green layers are Easter Eggers, who like Reds, are raised throughout the USA in any climate the country offers.
smile.png

I haven't raised a single chick of mine on Medicated Feed for nearly 2 years now, and I've yet to come across a sickness issue, so I'd say either is fine. I just am not a big fan of medication/vaccinations but that's me.

I really am not a fan of medication/vaccinations either! Bummer I might have to pass on this deal and just raise them myself :( I dont have the space in the house nor the equipment to do this. I wonder if I just got them in May if they would be OK in the coop that I am going to buy and a lightbulb?

It doesn't really matter what they ate before you purchased them honestly; - Most stock out there IS fed medicated feed when young, far as I know, and it doesn't make that much of a difference by the time you get the birds. It's like people who sell "organic" hens. They're fed an organic diet BEFORE someone purchases them, that person isn't going to eat them, so, it doesn't make much difference. Once you obtain the stock things will change according to your liking.

At least, that's my opinion. I'd prefer my birds have a very natural diet with little grains, but, I get what I can.

I guess this is really an unusual case because Im not purchasing them from someone that usually does this. She just runs her own flock and is looking for people go to in on a chick order. I want the birds, but am now really interested in raising chicks because of my lack of experience and equipment and (indoor) space. I don't have a basement, or a garage.

I guess I shouldnt worry too much about the medicated feed them and then when I get them at 3 months make my own decisions..

Are you ordering straight run or girls only. You don't want to end up with all the boys. I only use non-medicated feed on chicks.

Girls only! They are ordered :) Arriving March 12th. I may decide to raise them myself, but right now I'm still going to have her raise them.

Back
Top Bottom